The Crooked Toby
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lochmaben Coarse Fishing

2 posters

Go down

Lochmaben Coarse Fishing Empty Lochmaben Coarse Fishing

Post  Dizzy Mepps Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:19 pm

Has anybody tired fishing either Kirk, Mill or Castle Loch. Some tips would be useful as we've not had much luck

Cheers

Dizzy Mepps

Back to top Go down

Lochmaben Coarse Fishing Empty Re: Lochmaben Coarse Fishing

Post  The Crooked Toby Admin Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:30 pm

I think that Lochmaben is hit or miss. Fished all the lochs there and found that Castle loch is the best bet. Kirk and Mill loch are OK but to be honest they are not as well looked after as Castle loch. Mill Loch is dirty and I've heard alot of stories about Polish people staking the loch overnight with line and meat and then taking home the big pike. Have also witnessed them taking up nearly one whole bank with approx nine rods. Not on. Also they tend to leave a stinking campsite. Kirk is abit better caught my first ever pike there but it's next to the golf course and a public path so don't expect peace and quiet. Also the banks are well overgrown.

If your hitting Castle, drive up the B7020 and follow signs for the castle. Park at the car park and then follow the path left till you reach an island. Fish from there. Good shelter and caught two good pike. It's very shallow though so bring waders or wellies to get further out. Because of the depth, float fishing and other coarse is a no go. Hit the spinners or deadbait.

If you head up the other side of the loch on the A709 and park in the wee car park you can hit the coarse there. Meant to be good for Roach and Tench as there is a drainage pipe along the bank they like. If you walk along the path to the right there are also good places to spin. Caught a jack pike on a bronze spinner. Also its significantly quieter if want some peace.

Permits available from the post office open from 5am. Discorgers, landing mat and net required with 15 pound line minimum for pike.

Tight Lines

The Crooked Toby Admin
Admin

https://thecrookedtoby.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Dizzy Mepps Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:56 am

Squad of us fished castle loch today from the car park next to the balliffs cottagge. Bit of a disaster as original place we planned to fish was flooded at the castle side. We still managed to get a good 5 hours of spinning in.

4 of the 5 of us tried various methods of fishing for bream and tench. Had waggler floats and method maggot feeders out but the wind seen the end of that.

In the end all 5 of us were spinning. Each using different lures. I used a red, medium sized mepp for a while. We also tried poppers, plugs and swimbaits with realistic movements.

Out of 5 of us fishing we got 2 jack pike from spinning.

Next time we try Castle Loch I'll go later on in the evening. (we fished from 0930 - 1500 approx.)

Dizzy Mepps

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum